Wow! I’m feelin’ the love ❤
Thank you, Hannah and Patti, for nominating me for the Liebster Award! (Does Lobster Award keep coming up as an autocorrect option for anyone else??)
Loved reading your answers, and here goes mine for your questions!
How this works (from Patti, from Sarah):
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the questions they asked you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers.
- Create a new list of 11 questions for your nominees.
Q&A from Hannah over at Drifter Hannah
Ocean, mountains, desert or forest?
Mountains! I especially loved hiking in LA (baby mountains) and seeing the bright, sparkling line of lights AKA the 10 and the 405. The views are breathtaking, and once you’re at the top, you realize how vast the world is and how small you are. I can only imagine how much that is amplified while REALLY climbing a mountain like Mt. Everest.
When did you realise that you’d caught the travel bug?
The first time I really embraced it for myself was after college when I moved to Korea and realized that I love exploring local towns and seeing interesting cultural differences. But really, I was born with the travel bug! Moved when I was only 1 year old after being born in another country – Korea…huh…full circle. *que the Lion King song
What’s the passport stamp that you’re most proud of?
I’m proud of my stamp to Korea after college because it was such a big leap of faith for me to leave my life in LA and venture off without a plan to pursue a passion! (I ended up doing all sorts of fun stuff – Melissa Presents)
Describe one of the crazy characters that you’ve met whilst travelling.
Drink! Drink! Drink! One after another I was directed to drink Korea’s favorite drink, Somek (soju + mek-joo aka beer). Sitting in a Korean karaoke bar, I watched the guy at our table pour drink after drink. He then began to dance to Gangnam Style and do this awkward hip gyrating move while slicking his hair down.
What’s your guilty pleasure whilst travelling?
I love trinkets. There’s something about little dainty mementos from various countries that catch my eye. So, I usually end up filling my suitcase half-way with souvenirs and gifts for people.
Which country has surprised you the most, and why?
I was most surprised by Jamaica. We were on the side of a mountain in a minivan on a one-lane, two-way road with an earthy wall to one side and a cliff drop (maybe 100 ft?) to the other. A car was coming straight toward us, but there was no way we could both fit on this skinny path…or so I thought. Our driver buried our van into the bushes that lined the wall to our right as the opposing driver crept past us on the left. Pretty sure if the driver did so much as sneeze, we would have witnessed a tragedy. But don’ worry! One love, man.
Do you try to travel ethically or carbon-consciously?
If I had a choice between taking a bus tour or a bike tour, I’d always opt for the bike tour!
Have you tried Couchsurfing? If yes, how was it? If no, why not?
I have not…maybe one day?
No.1 destination for good food?
Stone-oven cooked pizzas that are charred ever so slightly to give you the dusty rustic flavor of history with every bite. Lavish seafood tossed in a glorious wine sauce with a side of a fresh salad tossed in a tangy balsamic. Tiramisu made to perfection with a slightly bitter espresso blended with amaretto-soaked ladyfingers. #carboholic #sweettooth #nom ~VIVA ITALIA!~
No.1 destination for beautiful people? Inside or out, you decide.
I’d have to say Germany. German people are so beautiful, cultured, and loving souls. I still have a lot of the world to see, though so this might change in the next year!
If you found out that you could only visit 5 more countries in your lifetime (but an unlimited amount of time in each), where would you choose?
1. New Zealand
Q&A from Patti over at The Savvy Globetrotter
- What is your favorite travel memory?
“HccchhhhhAAAArder! HcchhhhhAAAAAARDER!” yelled the fearless leader of our raft, instructing my team of 8 to row furiously so as to avoid the gigantic rock we were about to run into. Most of us were 16 so he had to jump in and help after his yelling had no impact on our paddling abilities. White water rafting in the glacial waters of the Alps. Amazing. Followed by a 50 mile bike-ride literally UP and then DOWN a mountain on 1 ft. wide dirt paths with no rails to protect from the 20 ft. plunge on either side. And repelling out of a 2-story window head first…think Spiderman walking down a building.
- What is your biggest travel fail?
See my last post. I forgot a VERY essential necessity.
- What are your three favorite places (cities or countries, islands etc.) visited and why?
1. Florence, Italy – dainty glass art decorations and jewelry, leaning tower of Pisa, food.
2. Brugge, Belgium – the old-town buildings, decadent chocolate, chocolate…chocolate.
3. Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland – breathtaking waterfalls, hang gliders, salt caves
- Have you been somewhere that did not live up to your expectations?
I don’t think so…I always go places with an insatiable curiosity and excitement to explore. So I guess not having expectations helps. I haven’t LOVED every place, though. I’m human.
- If you could move anywhere in the world for a year where would it be?
Ironic question…I AM moving around the world for a year! Peep this post for my 12 locations month to month!
- How do you choose where you travel to?
Well this year, it was determined by the program Remote Year. Sometimes I just hop on a train and get off at a random stop. Getting lost walking around cities can be the greatest thing!
- How would you define your style of traveling?
Quirky and colorful. I am pretty low maintenance and go-with-the-flow, if that’s what you were wondering. But in terms of how I would define what I do while traveling, I focus on the quirks of a new place. And I absolutely LOVE interacting with people and learning about the culture and traditions.
- What type of things excite you the most while traveling?
Food. People. Sights. Culture. Colors. Language. Exploration. Discovery.
- Who was the most interesting person you met on your travels?
I’ve met so many that none in particular stand out in my mind right now…mostly because an interesting place just popped into my mind. When I was in Bavaria, we stayed at this Hotel that was decorated with dogs. My family thought that it was just a hotel that loved dogs, but we later found out it was actually a hotel FOR dogs. Apparently competitive show dogs were local celebrities and deserved to be put up in class! It was awesome…except they were also allowed in the kitchen – aka I got a schnitzel with a side of dog hair.
- Do you collect anything during your travels?
Little knick-knacks. But I’ve been thinking about something consistent I can collect that won’t turn into hoarding…any ideas? I’d love to hear them!
- Who is your favorite travel partner?
Any company is great company while traveling!! ❤
Now, I nominate:
- Little Travel Bird
- Salt and Sandals
- Lost in Fashion
- One Way One World
- A Rose Gold World
- Luxury Travel Diva
- Persephone’s Blog
- The Logical Traveler
- Wheelchair Travel
- Journey Freak
Here are your questions:
- Name 3 things you never travel without
- Why do you travel?
- Do you have a pre-trip ritual? What is it and how did you develop it?
- What’s the best “travel hack” you’ve discovered? If learned from someone, who?
- Traveling has its complications…share with us the story of your biggest obstacle and how you overcame it.
- Where did you see the best skies? (Sunrise, sunset, clouds, etc.)
- What’s your favorite airline?
- In what way has traveling helped you grow?
- What’s your favorite souvenir you’ve picked up, and where’s it from?
- Where do you say you’re from?
- How many countries have you visited so far?
Can’t wait to read your answers!!